The History of the Wolcott
In the beginning ...
High Twelve International had its beginning in Sioux City, Iowa in 1920.
Its founder, Edgar C. Wolcott was, at the time, General Secretary of
the Y.M.C.A. in Sioux City. He felt very strongly that members of the
Masonic fraternity were in need of additional fellowship not gained in
the Lodge room.
As High Twelve
expanded beyond the confines of Sioux City to Oakland, California and
the Midwest, the “passing of the cup of fraternal assistance” became a
feature of club
meetings, accompanied with good natured fining. The earliest reference
to High Twelve
considering a scholarship program centered on discussions of a “Penny
Fund” at the St.
Louis meeting of the Club representatives in June 1946. This followed
the presentation of
a purse to Brother Wolcott and his wife as an anniversary gift. The
Wolcotts, in turn,
contributed to the purse a sum of $400.00 toward the “Penny Fund” which,
at some point
in time, had a name change to the “Founders Fund.”
In 1950, Dr. J. Wallace Forbes, a
professor of Dentistry at Temple University in
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, submitted a resolution changing the
“Founders Fund” to the
“Wolcott Founders Fund” in honor of the founder of High Twelve
At the Chicago Convention in 1951, Dr. Forbes pushed for the use of
funds from the
Founders Fund to be used in promulgating more Masonic ideals into our
that end, he suggested “establishment of an annual scholarship in
statesmanship in one of the colleges or universities that offer such
George Washington University Enters
In mid-1951, the work being carried out at George Washington University
and Foreign Affairs was discussed by Dr. Forbes and his associates and
the sum of
$1,800.00 for tuition for a student at the University was appropriated.
Dr. Forbes and his
associates, who have been referred to as the first Trustees, all had
strong ties or
connections with Temple University. They were Dr. J. Wallace Forbes,
Dental Science at Temple University, Dr. Millard Gladfelter, President
University, John Harper, Esq., Counsel for Temple University and Fred
Masonic leader of Louisville, Kentucky. These gentlemen were appointed
Trustees to work up necessary arrangements to implement the resolution
adopted by the 1951 convention.
At the Tulsa Convention of 1953,
Chairman Forbes announced the formation of a
Graduate Fellowship in international Affairs - a full tuition
scholarship at the George
Washington University - one year of graduate studies for qualified
students. The first
student selected was Robert Irvine Warriner of Kirkwood, Missouri.
The success of the Founders Fund and
its successor Foundations can be attributed to the
efforts of a group of dedicated Master Masons who have, during the
years, served as Trustees. In addition, they have been aided by very
wise counsel from
University Faculty and officials starting with Dr. Cloyd Heck Marvin,
President of the
University in 1953, Dr. Lloyd Hartman Elliott, President after Dr.
Marvin, Dr. Stephen
Joel Trachtenberg, President Emeritus, and Dr. Steven Knapp, current
These Illustrious gentlemen and
Presidents have personally,
and through their representatives, given
strong support to the
Trustees and the Foundation.
The increase in the number of Trustees
from five to eight in 1972, accompanied with the
zonal assignment of Trustees, has been a very strong factor in the
growth of the
Foundation. Since 1971, there has been substantial growth, both
financially and in the
number of applicants.
To date, about 500 students have been
supported, in full or part, for their graduate degrees
at George Washington University by Wolcott Foundation grants.